Elevating Ministry: Fostering Life-Giving Relationships in Pastoral Care
A One Day Workshop presented by Mary Wells
Saturday, February 9th, 2013 - 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Advances have been made in recent years in understanding the harm caused by sexual misconduct in ministry. This one day seminar offers insight into:
• the power inherent in a ministerial relationship
• the fiduciary responsibilities of ministry
• the harmful effects of sexual misconduct on the victim, the ministry, the community of the faithful and the minister
The seminar will provide:
• a framework to systematically distinguish healthy, life promoting interactions from interpersonal behaviours that can result in misconduct and harm
• a systematic approach to identifying risk situations and reducing the risk of sexual misconduct
• common sense tips for prevention of misconduct
The goal of the seminar is to elevate ministry, not simply by being careful about and aware of personal boundaries, but by ensuring that all ministerial relationships are founded on dignity, respect and Christ’s teachings about ourselves and our neighbours.
The presenter is social worker / consultant Mary Wells, author of Canada's Law on Child Sexual Abuse: a Handbook, (Department of Justice, Canada, 1989) and consultant / trainer to numerous religious congregations and dioceses.